Thursday, February 18, 2010

Cinnamon Rolls: In Medias Res

Alright, I've delayed this post for long enough. I've had a busy week playing with my new Playstation 3, and I am currently on a break to watch Project Runway. To that end, we'll just jump right into the amazing cinnamon rolls I made. No backstory, no muss, no fuss.

Imagine the most delicious cinnamon rolls you've ever had. Now imagine those with more cinnamon, more sugar, a delicious hint of lemon and a wonderful softness that just melts under your fork. These cinnamon rolls definitely take a significant time commitment, but every now and then, they will be worth making again and again and again and...

First, I would like to point out what time I got up to make these, because I love my mommy and daddy (and didn't really have money for more substantial birthday presents).

Yes, I got up, on my vacation, at 5:00 AM to make these. We ate around 9:30. It's not that much of a time commitment, but it's definitely more than Pilsbury.

The original combining was quite an experience this week, as I didn't feel like gathering the components to my mom's mixer. Step one: sugar, salt and shortening. To that, egg and lemon extract. Finally, flour, yeast and milk. I didn't get any pictures of these steps, as my phone decided to die for a few minutes.

I didn't really knead the dough like I was supposed to, but I worked it enough. I really enjoyed the dough, as it was very light and easy to get my hands into. After letting it rise for a few hours, I rolled it out into a rough rectangle. This was quite a treat, as the dough felt like a very soft stress ball. It was quite a change from the experience of trying to work the nuts and raisins into the dough last week.

The dough stayed stretched out just fine, then I spread across a metric ton of cinnamon sugar. At this point, I rolled it up and was very pleased that the cinnamon sugar mostly stayed on the inside this time.

I cut the log into eight cinnamon rolls, watching the cinnamon sugar flow out across the counter. Notice the enormous mount on the pan. At this point, the rolls were left to proof for another hour and a half.

While baking, the rolls began to emit the most amazing lemony smell. I really wanted to eat them at this point, but there was one more step: the glaze.

Since the dish I put these in only had room for seven rolls, my dad got to taste test the last roll. After getting two thumbs up, I finished putting the glaze on the remaining rolls.

I ended up making WAY more glaze than needed, so this pan was literally a lake. Nobody seemed to mind though--we were all too busy wolfing these down.

All in all, I'd give this recipe a 10/10!

Cinnamon rolls? Check.
Coming up next week (at Bill's house... lots of traveling baking!)? Lavash crackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment